Monday, July 20, 2009

DIY: Sunday

What I did on Sunday was just DIYing the whole morning and afternoon.


First thing first, my bed frame. You know those planks of wood that goes from one side of the bed to the other? Those planks need a place to support it, right? Apparently those folks from Cavenzi either don't have a measuring tape or they just don't know anything about carpentry.





Those "sleepers" as I would call them are resting on supports that are too short, or either the "sleepers" themselves are too damn short. The result is that those "sleepers" keep on falling onto the floor, along with my mattress.








The solution? Well, just add another plank of wood to increase the width of the support.



[The scar from the 'sleepers' that keep on falling of its supports...]


Good thing the 'In-apartment-mini-mart' has roughly the same 'sleepers' frame at the back that I would just help them clear out.





1. Dis mental the salvage 'sleeper' frame with a hammer, safety glasses and gloves.







2. Take out those pesky nails.






3. Measure twice, cut once.



[To know where the screws are so I wouldn't drill into them...]


4. Remove the existing 'sleepers' and those things under the bed.


5. Drill and screw... Wait, that didn't sound quite right...





6. Tadaa! The increase width of the support makes the whole difference in the 'sleepers' not falling off.





I'll test drive it later...



But, wait! There's still more... I also made two step stools, if that what you would call it..



I needed/wanted a step stool for quite awhile now... Seeing that those plastic ones are hot, flimsy and could very well take your eyes out when you carry them around, I wanted a wooden one, especially when I needed to do more DIY projects in the future...



So, from good quality soft wood ( I would presume since they are very soft and loosely grained) I salvaged/found (I forgot), I started off making my step stool.






1. The top has to be made from two planks, good thing is that I managed to find both with almost equal height, laying flat side by side. (A good thing if you don't want your bottom to be pinched.)


2. With the planks quite long, I saw off roughly six inches to make its leg.


3. With a third plank, I fashion a cross brace, or horizontal column cum stabilizer.


4. Drill and screw all the parts together with 1'1/2 screws.


5. Tadaa! A wonderful step stool... Now I have something to rest my legs on instead of the speaker sub-woofer...








And, for the second step stool for my second sister, I used an Ikea shelf unit which she salvaged from her condo.



[Ikea Rian]



Roughly the same steps, but the outcome is far different. With the shelving unit a fair bit wide and long, it looks like it was used as a peddle-stool for someone giving a speech, like those soap box crates. I guess with a couple slaps of matte black paint on the legs and supports, it would look stunning.. Maybe during Monday afternoon...



[The double stool... LOLz]

1 comment:

Lex Then said...

Yay! I got stool... wait that don't sound rite...

If you have sources to good wide planks (like you found) pls get more for me too... =)