Thursday, June 19, 2008

Browser Wars: Mozilla Firefox 3 versus Opera 9.5

This is in response to Philip's switch to Opera


Ah... Tabbeb browsing. The world is a better place with you, Firefox.

To my dearest Firefox 3,

I've waited for you,
even on the hour,
for something anew,
and your spectacular power.

But, so it didn't happened so,
for the passage was full,
had to wait for the sun to bestow,
disappointed, I was, a fool.




OK... my rhymes sucks.
Anyhow, I waited till the exact minute for the start of World Download Day for Firefox 3.
But, as it always it.. Traffic was terrible.
And in the morning, what I got was a somewhat fattened version of Firefox.
Just a little bit though.

Like when I loaded a page that is quite intensive, it would pause for 0.5-1.2 seconds, before it fully loads. That was never a problem with Firefox 2. Its damned freaking annoying.


Update: The damned thing finally got better. All was needed was a clean restart of Firefox. Several at that...

Feels similar to Opera 9. But after upgrading to 9.5, it got better, faster and harder to die.

Now both of them are equal. Opera has the looks, but Firefox used to be a no nonsense browser.
Now, it just got a little blot of ink on it.
I don't mind having Firefox 2 running 95-99% of my CPU threads, since I've got session manager to fall back to when I restart my browser.

Well, changes are changes.



Opera 9.5





Opera 9 is a fun browser. Speed Dial is such fun, simple and intuitive.
Firefox's Speed Dial Add-On is not as beautiful..

Speed Dial is like the ultimate bookmark. Pages that you like to visit is right in front of you. If configured right, by just pressing CTRL + 1, 2, 3,... 9 ; you can get all the pages that you would visit when you first start up your browser. Either that or a quick action of your mouse.

Yeah, I can get Firefox to configure the tabs and pages that I like to visit when I launch it, but as someone who leaves the browser 24/7 guess that it wouldn't be as intuitive.


Some bugs are fix in Opera 9.5. Like when flooding Youtube with streams, it wouldn't cut the sound.


Now, it seems that the delay of fully loaded pages are longer on Opera. Like a full 2 seconds.


Guess that nothing is perfect. Either that or I seriously need to do a clean installation of my drive. Been wanting to unload the crap-ware that was installed when editing my project Videos.


Oh yeah.. The winner? I guess its Firefox 3 by a margin. 0.5 seconds margin?!

2 comments:

Philip Nate said...

yeah. lol. download firefox 3 luu... Opera 9.5 did fix some bugs, but.. quite weird too. Dono, just a weird feelin when using it.

Nemu~iii said...

I switched to Opera for half a year, now back to back opera-firefox...